Friday, March 5, 2010

What if?

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I am a runner.  I completed (just barely) my first marathon last October and have done 3 half marathons in the last four years.  There have been some 5 and 10 Ks in between there too.  I've just signed up for another half in June.  Here's my problem though: as much as I love to run and love the feeling of accomplishment at finishing a big race I am a lazy runner.  Or maybe it would be better described as a lazy trainer.  You see, I have run almost every race with minimal training.  I'm not bragging here because I think it is a flaw of mine.  The first marathon I signed up for was during law school.  I had no idea the time the training for a full marathon would take and ended up just doing a half marathon and not training for that one fully because of exams, schedules, and just because I got lazy toward the end.  I think that sparked something in my procrastinating side.  Since then, every race I sign up for I have every intention to fully prepare.  I schedule out the runs on calendars and synch it with my phone so I'll always have it with me.  I get all the latest gadgets to plan my runs, keep up with my time and distance. I mark off the runs I've completed to write down how I modified my schedule. 

But eventually things come up.  A weekend trip gets planned that doesn't include running (not that it can't, it just doesn't end up happening) and I miss a long run.  No problem.  I'll catch up with the schedule next week.  Eventually all my plans go awry, but I still show up and run, certainly not the standard I would ultimately hope, but I've always finished (and with respectable times for the most part).

The point of all this drivel is that I started thinking about what would happen if I ran every day.  What if I made a goal for myself to run some distance every single day whether it fit with a specific schedule or not.  Surely I could do a mile on an off day even in this ridiculously wintery winter we're having in the South this year.  I mean, a mile doesn't even take 10 minutes.  I'm not saying I've committed to the idea yet completely, but I'm thinking about it.  Pros and cons, wondering if it wouldn't help me toward my goal of reaching a starting line fully prepared instead of wanting to "just finish" or "not walk."  Maybe I will do it.  I'll let you know...

1 comment:

  1. I? Do not run.
    http://afterhoneymoon.blogspot.com/2009/06/running-with-pom-poms.html

    Just an idea of when the last time I ran was.
    But VERY impressed with anyone who can.

    ReplyDelete